DOT compliance is essential to fostering the safe transport of cars, shipping containers, concrete piping, and other heavy cargo. A compliance inspection can occur at any time, highlighting the importance of bolstering compliance among drivers and other employees. Below is a look at DOT compliance and the increasingly critical role it plays for businesses in the transportation and construction industries.
What is DOT Compliance?
The Department of Transportation (DOT) is responsible for protecting the public by maintaining the safety and security of our country's transportation system. DOT compliance is achieved when a company meets or exceeds the standards established by the DOT. These standards related to safety-sensitive issues including the following:
- Refraining from using drugs and alcohol
- Adhering to inspection and maintenance requirements
- Meeting driver qualifications
- Adhering to hazardous material carriage regulations
- Meeting general safety requirements