As the owner or operator of a transportation-focused business, you are likely counting the days until your company completes the transition from paper DVIR to digital DVIR. From increased efficiency to improved compliance with key regulations, this offers a host of advantages that will help you promote safety and improve your bottom line. However, procedural changes are not always easy for employees, and you may need to take some special measures to ensure a smooth transition to digital DVIR. Below are seven steps to help you prepare your drivers for these new technologies.
1) Let drivers know how they will benefit from the switch
A seamless transition is best achieved when drivers fully support the change. However, some employees do not respond well to change. In order to ensure the buy-in of your drivers, you need to outline the specific benefits drivers will experience as a result of the change. Here are three of the top benefits that drivers will enjoy when they switch to digital DVIR:
- Convenience: Drivers can prepare their vehicle inspection reports from their favorite smartphone or mobile device.
- Speed: Paper reports can be tedious and time-consuming for drivers to complete. Digital DVIR makes the reporting process fast and easy.
- Accuracy: Switching from paper DVIR to digital DVIR helps to reduce the chance for illegible writing and human error.
2) Make sure all key stakeholders and departments are on board
Drivers are not the only employees who play a critical role in creating a smooth transition to digital reporting. Company executives, department heads, and human resources staff should all have a general understanding of the benefits of digital DVIR. For instance, CEOs and CFOs need to have a strong working knowledge of the reporting platform and how it ultimately leads to increased efficiency and a healthier bottom line. Human resources staff, IT personnel, and compliance personnel are other key players who need to understand and be actively involved with the switch to digital reporting.
3) Communicate details clearly to drivers
Clear communication is the cornerstone of a successful transition to digital DVIR. Communication is the key to helping drivers understand the changes that are unfolding and the steps they need to take to prepare for the changes in reporting procedures. Here are a few important details that should not be omitted when communicating to drivers about the switch to digital DVIR:
- Provide a timeline that outlines the key phases of the transition, highlighting your "Go live" target date.
- Be transparent about the reasons why your company is making the switch. Be sure to emphasize the advantages of the change.
- Send regular updates about the transition via email and post the updates throughout common areas of your facility.
4) Offer attractive incentives to drivers who achieve preparation milestones
Offering incentives to drivers who achieve preparation milestones achieves two goals. First, the incentives help build excitement and enthusiasm about the switch to digital reporting. Second, incentives encourage drivers to pay attention to communication regarding the impending transition.
In order to maximize the impact of incentives, make sure that you identify the incentives before you begin preparing for the transition and clearly state what drivers must do in order to earn them. Finally, in order to maximize the impact of the incentives you offer, choose items that are relevant and offer value to the driver. Bonuses, gift cards, and paid time off are examples of incentives that are usually well received by employees. Company-wide recognition in newsletters and on social media is also a strong motivator for drivers to embrace the switch to digital reporting.
5) Collaborate with Whip Around customer success teams
One of the top benefits of working with a first-class enterprise like Whip Around is the unparalleled level of customer support that you receive. By collaborating with Whip Around's customer success teams, you receive the personalized support that you need to quickly resolve any questions that you have. Here are just a few benefits of working with Whip Around's customer success teams:
- Live professionals answer your calls and inquiries.
- Whip Around's Help Centre is available to help you set up your drivers and introduce you to Whip Around's most helpful features.
- Free and unlimited support will give you the peace of mind you need when introducing digital DVIR.
6) Stick to established timelines
When rolling out the switch to digital DVIR, be sure to establish a realistic timeline to roll out changes. Your timeline should include staff planning meetings, preliminary trial runs, your Go Live date, and follow-up meetings. When establishing your timeline, it is best to be conservative with your estimates, as you want to avoid pushing back scheduled dates.
7) Conduct daily driver meetings to review the new technology
Regular meetings with drivers are essential to ensuring a smooth transition to digital DVIR, especially during the initial phases of the rollout. Meetings provide a forum during which drivers can ask questions, voice concerns, and gain hands-on knowledge about digital reporting. Here are some important points to cover during your meetings with drivers:
- Identify pain points by asking drivers to describe glitches or barriers they encounter.
- Seek feedback from drivers regarding their experience with the transition to the new digital platform.
- Recognize top performers who have embraced the transition and helped fellow drivers prepare for upcoming changes.
The Bottom Line
The switch from paper DVIR to digital DVIR does not have to be challenging. Securing the buy-in of drivers and key stakeholders is an important first step to take when introducing a digital reporting platform. Achieving this important first step is best accomplished through clear communication and by ensuring that drivers know the specific ways they will benefit from a switch to digital reporting. We invite you to contact us at Whip Around to find out how digital DVIR can help your organization thrive. Our top-notch customer success specialists are eager to help you book a complimentary demo and answer any questions you have about our platform. We look forward to serving as your trusted provider of paperless fleet inspections!