Business’s of all sorts in the United States have been transitioning to paperless documentation. This is not only to promote a green environment and save the planet, but in 2016 39% of businesses found that too much of their spending money was going toward unnecessary printing. We get it, you have been doing a fine job with the routine you have and change could just confuse things. The reality is, switching to digital DVIR forms will only make things easier and quicker for you and your staff.
Paper Creates Problems
Paper is great when it comes to efficiency in small quantities, such as taking down a number or writing a quick reminder for yourself. When you are using it in large quantities for everyday uses however, it becomes extremely inefficient. A few reasons for this are:
- Every paper document you file costs 5 dollars and an additional 20 dollars to have it found
- If you need to reproduce a paper document it could cost up to 250 dollars
- 7.5% of all paper documents are simply lost, which can cause some serious complications depending on its importance
Automating DVIR Forms
There are a number of ways that you can eliminate the use of paper in a business. When it comes to businesses in charge of fleets, a whole lot of paper is wasted because of all of the vehicle inspections that are required each day.
Drivers are also having to do more work than necessary because of these paper forms. By using a mobile application to automate your DVIR slips, you will:
- Quicken the entire inspection process. Digital forms are easily accessible, they cannot get lost, you do not need to have a pen handy or spend time trying to retrieve one, and you can copy your name and ID information right from prior forms. Once the form is completed it will be saved directly into the database, avoiding any possibility for loss or the time it takes it to retrieve it if necessary.
- Have less errors. If a driver is using their own handwriting the form can be difficult to read or understand. Both the driver and the office team have to be able to read the information on the form for reviews purposes and in the case that it needs to be passed on for maintenance.
- Make the reporting process simpler. All fleet companies need to have easy access to their forms and proof of inspections as the FMCSA will require at least 3 months of DVIRS during an audit. Getting a low score on a review or audit can weigh heavily on your business. Digital forms are all saved in the cloud, making them easily accessible and legible when such an event takes place.
- Faster communication for repairs. Reports on defects will be sent to the maintenance team as soon as they are documented. With the app connected to the driver’s mobile device, they will have the ability to take photos to fully communicate the issue.
- The technology is designed to function on any smart mobile device. Whether the driver is using an iOS or Android device, they will be able to install the app on their smartphone or tablet so they can complete the electronic form from any location.
- Have the option to create your own customized forms. Depending on the type of vehicle being used, it may require its own customized inspection form. Completing the wrong form could result in inadequate or missing information. If there is anything that needs to be included the form can be altered or another form can be attached to the file.
What does this Mean?
If you have completed a DVIR form before, you know that it can be a big pain. Simplify your process and ensure that everything is being done properly and efficiently with eDVIR forms.
Eliminate the hassles by using the optimal path that is digital ease. Times are changing and these tools are created to provide you with solutions that will eliminate your problems. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot, optimize your inspection process today.