Is your current Driver-Vehicle Inspection Report meeting the requirements of the FMCSA? Here is a breakdown of the FMCSA Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance regulation:
- Everyone involved in your chain of responsibility is responsible for understanding FMCSA regulation, from drivers to management.
Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance
- Vehicles must be maintained and have a system in place for keeping records of maintenance, including a record of the date, time, and nature of maintenance done.
Inspection of Motor Vehicles
- FMCSA agents can inspect vehicles at any time and report back to the FMCSA with a Driver Vehicle Examination Report. If anything is not meeting regulations, they can mark a vehicle "Out of Service", and the vehicle will not be operable until the proper maintenance has been performed and paperwork has been reviewed and approved by the FMCSA.
- A daily report is required from each driver, for each vehicle operated, covering basic maintenance of parts such as the service brakes, steering mechanism, lighting devices, tires, and emergency equipment. This report must be recorded even if nothing is wrong with the maintenance of the vehicle.
- Repairs must be made and documented if something is wrong with the vehicle.
- Reports must be kept for three months after the date driven.
Procedures for Accepting Reports
- A system must be in place for maintaining reports of damage and maintenance.
- Reports must include: the company's USDOT number, the equipment provider's USDOT, vehicle ID number, date and time, list of needed maintenance, record of maintenance performed, and the vehicle driver's signature.
Keeping up with these regulations means plenty of paperwork that could easily be disorganized and hard to keep track of. With Whip Around DVIR software, your records stay in one place, accessible by drivers and inspectors alike. Each record is time and date stamped and synched with the cloud automatically.
If you have more questions about FMCSA regulations and what Whip Around can do for you, let our experts know.